April 21, 2017 Louisville, KY. (Analyzed Sports)
2017 Kentucky Derby 143rd: Horse Betting Tips
One of the most exciting times of the year for the Kentucky is a couple of weeks away. The 143rd running of the Kentucky Oaks and Kentucky Derby will be held in Louisville, KY at the legendary Churchill Downs. The Kentucky Oaks Horse Race is held on Friday, May 6 and has a field made up of fillies (girls). Saturday, May 6th is the official date for the Kentucky Derby. . The Fillies run for the Lilies, while the Colts run for the Roses.
I know, I know, is something some might say after reading the above paragraph, but there are people still out there that has no interest in visiting Churchill Downs on Derby. After speaking with them for a few minutes about how much fun a day at the track is, most do become interested in visiting and figuring out how to place wagers. If you are that person I speak of, then here is a basic horse racing betting guide for you. Although there are online outlets you can use to place bets, this guide should be used as if you were at the track itself. Have fun and gamble responsibly.
UNDERSTANDING THE DIFFERENT BETS: (Minimum Bet $2)
ROOKIE LEVEL BETS -STRAIGHT WAGERS
- WIN – Betting the horse to win. The horse you picked must finish in first place for you to win this bet.
- Place – Betting the horse to place. The horse you picked must finish first or second for you to win on this bet.
- Show – Betting the horse to show. The horse you picked must finish first, second, or third to win on this bet.
- ACROSS THE BOARD – Betting the horse across the board. For a $2 dollar bet the cost of the total bet will be $6, because the horse you picked is being covered for three different bets, a win bet, a place bet, and a show bet, which is $2 per bet. If the horse you picked finishes in first you win the money pots for all three Win,Place, and Show bets. If the horse you selected finishes in second, you win two bets, Place and Show. If the horse you selected finishes third, then you will win one bet for Show. The payouts will vary depending on what place the horse you selected finishes, along with the odds of each horse that finishes first, second, and third. Larger payouts for long shots. Smaller payouts for the favorites.
PRO LEVEL BETS – EXOTIC WAGERS
- EXACTA BOX- Betting a $2 Exacta Box is a two-horse bet that will cost a total of $4 because boxing the horses, allows multiple combinations. To win this bet both horses you select must hit the finish line in 1st and 2nd place. For instance you can lose this bet if the two horses you select finishes in first and third, Exacta finishes must have two horses that hit the finish line one and two
- TRIFECTA BOX – Betting a $2 Trifecta Box is a three-horse bet that will cost a total of $12 because boxing the horses, allows multiple combinations. To win this bet three horses you select must hit the finish line in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. For instance you can lose this bet if one of the three horses you select finishes fourth or worst, Trifecta finishes must have all three horses you select hit the finish line one, two, and three.
- Superfecta Box – Betting a $2 Superfecta Box is a four horse bet that will cost a total of $24 because boxing the horses, allows multiple combinations. To win this bet four horses you select must hit the finish line in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place. For instance you can lose this bet if one of the four horses you select finishes 5th or worst, Superfecta finishes must have four horses that you pick hit the finish line one, two, three, and four.
Below are Ticket Prices for $1 Exacta & Trifecta Box Bets. Hit and get half of the Ex or Tri Win Pot
|Combinations||$1 Exacta Box||$1 Trifecta Box|
SUPERSTAR LEVEL BETTING -HARD WAGERS
- DAILY DOUBLE – Betting and winning a daily double consists of selecting the winners from two back to back races on the racing program. For Instances picking a horse to win in race 10 , and picking a horse to win in race 11. You win this bet when the two different horses from the two back to back races finishes in first place.
- SUPER HI-FIVE – Betting a Super Hi-Five consists of picking five horses. To win this bet you must pick the first five horses to finish in exact order. Huge payoffs, but hard to do.
- PICK 3,4,5,& 6 – Pick 3’s 4’s, 5’s, and 6’s are similar to Daily Doubles, but instead of 2 consecutive races, each bet requires you select 3,4,5, or 6 different horses from 3,4,5, or 6 consecutive races. Very difficult to do, with huge payouts if you can do it. One wrong pick and you lose this bet.
IN THIS ORDER – MAKING A BET AT THE TICKET WINDOW:
|What to Say||How to Say it|
|1.Give them the Track Name||Churchill Downs|
|2.Tell them the Race Number||Race 11|
|3.Amount of your Bet||$2|
|4.Type of Bet||To Win|
|5.Horse Number||On #7|
Here are some of the Payouts on a $2 Bet to Win
TIPS TO GETTING BETTER AT PICKING WINNERS
- BUY A RACING PROGRAM – Study the program to learn about what going up and down in classes mean. Learn how front-runners, off the pace horses, and closers impact the race. Understand the speeds, and past performances.
- PADDOCK BEHAVIOR – Is the horse fat, sweating, or acting wild in the paddock? If so it’s a good chance these horses won’t do well in the upcoming race.
- JOCKEYS – Learn who the good Jockeys are. Normally they ride the horses with the potential to win the race.
- Don’t Bet Every Race – Save your money for the good races. All Races Aren’t Good Races.
- Study – Learn something every-time you go to the track. It takes a while to learn everything, so don’t get discourage if all the information is overwhelming in the beginning. It gets better with repetition.